FIVE TIPS FOR YOUR NEW YEARS CHECKUP:
Have you made your appointment for your check up yet? Book your appointment and be prepared when you arrive, so that you can maximize your time with your healthcare provider.
Here are some tips on what to tell your doctor.
1. Are there any family members that have had a new diagnosis made since your last visit? This is important in terms of your risk for developing heart disease, diabetes, stroke or cancer.
2. Your doctor may be able to provide you with things you can do to prevent disease such as exercising more, new screening tests or updating your diet to suit your metabolism.
3. Ask if you are due for any vaccinations or general screenings. Are you going to be traveling to any exotic countries. It is also important to keep up with recommended screening tests based on your age. For example did you get a Pap test, mammogram, prostate cancer screening, colon cancer screening, STD disease screening, blood pressure checked, tetanus shot, eye exam or other screening tests.
4. Write down a list of questions or concerns that you may have for your doctor. Are you having trouble with fatigue, dizziness, problems with your urine or stool or menstrual cycle changes. Have you noticed any changes in on your skin including lumps or change in colour.
Any change in your sleeping patterns or are you dealing with anxiety, stress or depression.
5. Are you thinking of having a baby and dealing with infertility problems. Do you want to lose weight, quit smoking or start a new fitness routine. These are important facts that your doctor needs to know and would be willing to discuss with you.
Be honest with your healthcare provider. If you need to be exercising more or have not been taking your medication, ask for suggestions on how to make healthier choices for yourself. Maximize your health care dollars by getting the best advice with the most accurate information you can provide.